This year’s Irish Museums Association annual conference (25-27th February 2011) is now accepting registrations (full disclosure: I’m on the organising committee)! Our theme this year is ‘The Way Forward: Sustainability and the Museum‘, and we’re delighted to be headed to Drogheda, where we’ll be hosted by the Droichead Arts Centre.
We’ve a great series of events lined up– as always, Fridays will feature a selection of members’ papers (see the call for papers here) and an interactive workshop (Annette Nugent leading the group for a session entitled ‘What can the museum sector offer the visitor, and how can museums grow their visitor base?’).
Saturday will see a full roster of speakers take the podium, including:
- RACHEL MADAN (Greener Museums and author of Sustainable Museums: Strategies for the 21st Century)
- EAMONN McENEANEY (Director, Waterford Museum of Treasures)
- OLE WINTHER (Head of Museums Office, National Heritage Agency, Denmark)
- SAMUEL JONES (Policy Fellow at the UK’s Department for Culture, Media and Sport and Head of Culture at DEMOS)
- STUART McLAUGHLIN (Chief Executive, Business2Arts, Dublin)
- IZABELLA CSORDÁS (Head of Visitor Services Department, Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest, Hungary)
- GRAINNE MILLAR (Head of Cultural Development, Temple Bar Cultural Trust, Dublin)
- DR HUGH MAGUIRE (Director, Hunt Museum, Limerick)
The Millmount Museum, Highlanes Gallery, Beaulieu House and Battle of the Boyne Visitor Centre will all be welcoming conference delegates for special receptions and visits. We are offering a special 40% off concession rate this year as well.
Full details of the conference programme can be found on the IMA website. Hope to see you there!